Over 1400 Perennial selections and 700 different Woody Plants;
Houseplants from cacti to orchids
Over 50 varieties of daffodils and more spring-flowering bulbs starting Labor Day
- High quality short & long handled tools from Corona, Felco & Fiskars
- Soils and soil amendments like Master Nursery Gardener's Gold, McEnroe, and MooDoo Compost
- Seeding supplies and seeds including varieties from High Mowing Organic Seeds, Botanical Interests & Hudson Valley Seed Library
- Perennial Grass Seed and annual green cover seed
- Pottery and containers
- Hose and watering supplies
- Espoma organic fertilizers
- Pest management products
- Gardening accessories like trellises, statuary, gazing balls, fencing, posts, burlap
- Wild Bird feeders and seed variety
- Pond supplies and plants
Extensive select decorations for the holidays
- Fresh cut and Permanent Wreaths, Garlands & Greenery
Donald J. Ward Jr. started Ward’s Nursery and Garden Center at 600 South Main St., Great Barrington in 1957. Starting out with 2 small greenhouses and a potting shed, Ward’s has since grown into a must-see destination for gardeners and holiday enthusiasts.
During the late sixties, Ward’s added a retail sales building and nursery sales yard. This allowed for an expanded inventory of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, and houseplants, as well as tools, soil, amendments, and accessories. With the extra room—and space to fill in November and December-- Ward’s could now offer a seasonal Christmas shop with an extensive array of ornaments and holiday novelties, as well as fresh wreaths, roping and Christmas trees.
Three of Don Jr.’s sons--Mike, Greg, and Don III--came on board in the mid-eighties adding new ideas while maintaining the same relaxed and personal customer service Ward’s is known for.
As the Tri-State area grew, so did Ward’s. In 1999-2000, Ward’s added a 10,000-sq. ft. retail greenhouse that allows shoppers to peruse the aisles rain or shine. At the same time, Ward’s reorganized the sales yard to allow for a more leisurely and efficient shopping experience.
Today Greg and Mike run Ward’s. In autumn 2009, they launched the final stage of their 12-year project. When it opened in May 2010, the new garden center expanded storage and display opportunities while incorporating energy efficiencies that improved the customer experience and made a more sustainable business operation. And now, the children of Mike, Greg and Don III are working at Ward’s behind the cash registers and among the trees, shrubs, annuals and perennials. Ward’s will be in business for 62 years in 2019!
At Ward’s Nursery, we pride ourselves on being a leader in offering horticultural products you can count on, knowledgeable staff you can trust, and great customer service. Please come by and visit today!